Sunday 19 July 2009

Bit of an intro!

Well here goes, I am officially losing my blog virginity! Thought I'd start with a little intro... I'm Felicity (Flik), the brunette one in the photos, and the very clever gorgeous-layout-creating one is my best friend Harriet (Bunni).

So! The driving force behind all this blogging thing (new to me, but not to the likes of Little Miss "I'm-a-computer-boff!") came from our long and somewhat obsessive search for a website or blog full of dressmaking ideas, "how-to's" and general arty inspiration. So far, the perfect one hasn't been uncovered, but we shall notify in due course of the lovely ones that have caught our eye along the way.

But back to us... I can't really think when we got into making our own clothes; it's only really become a major obsession in the past couple of years, but it's probably been brewing for some time!

The first thing I can remember making together was a canary-yellow circle skirt (for her) and a black A-line one (for me) - [I think I just summed us up by describing those first two things! She's a tiny bit off-the-wall but ever so lovable, and me, well I'm just not as daring!]

I think the first things we have pictures of, though, are matching polka-dot circle skirts with black netting (made with Frances, a mutual high school friend, several summers ago, 4..maybe 5).




Since then, I'd like to think our sewing prowess has greatly improved, and we're a little more ambitious to say the least!

Recently, we spent several happy days in a very remote but gorgeous part of Cornwall - not that we saw much of the outside world as the majority of time was spent hunched over hoards of fabric and noisy sewing machines! But on the very last day of my stay there, we ventured down to the cliffs at Kynance Cove and Lanty (Harriet's younger brother) took millions of lovely artsy photos of us being seriously posy! Mainly because we were so incredibly proud of the stuff we'd made! All the nicest photos are in the Flickr box top left, but we'll try and work our way through them and others, explaining what we did and how to reproduce it (with any luck!). So this wonderful lot makes up the first "H&F collection" (we even have gorgeous little labels!! look look....)




Hopefully we will try to keep updating this regularly - but please excuse us if large numbers of days go past sometimes - we're probably either at work or glued to our respective sewing machines!


Flik

x

2 comments:

  1. Not that I actually own a sewing machine that works at the moment. I'm using my aunt's bernina that is literally 100 years old. Still works though. Just only does normal and zigzag which is all I really need.
    And you making a black A line sirt doesn't mean you're "not as darling". It just means you have some maturity and sofisication and all those other words I can't spell. No one would ever guess you were almost a whole year younger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aaahh I was referenced ^.^ -runs around inn happy circles- I havn't talked to you in ages Flik, hows ya doin?
    Frances xx

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment :D