Tuesday 21 July 2009

Shorts

More recently than the skirts I talked about before, we made (almost) matching shorts. This seemingly small project turned into quite a major effort, but it was definitely worth it! They are so cool:




















So here's the story...: I had been lusting after Jack Wills' PJ shorts for ages and ages, but rather than spend way too much money (on something that doesn't seem to require much material!) I resolved to make my own.
Next came the Ikea trip (which, if you haven't already discovered, has awesome fabrics), where I discovered lovely navy blue heavy cotton curtain material with big white outlined checks.
Then my dear friend showed up at my door (and proceeded to stay for days on end, which was a nice surprise!) and announced that she wanted a pair of shorts too. So we went for it, armed with large amounts of old newspaper pages and lots of sticky tape (and a tiny bit of help from a 70s pattern for mens' pyjama trousers that we found stashed away).

We made up a pair in old white curtain lining first - really wish I had a picture of us actually wearing them...rather amusing - but this will have to suffice:



They look gigantic - but really, once there's a bit of ribbon threaded in the top and tied in a pretty bow at the front they're lovely! I think we made the legs a bit less wide than these as well, but quite long - so that they could be rolled up into turn-ups.
Ok, I'm pretty rubbish at explaining things in words - so I drew a rather primitive-looking diagram to try and show you how to make them!
Where it says the back has to be higher...I think that was just me...because of my exceptionally rubbishly-endowed behind...! It's actually probably the other way round for the majority but changing the diagram would take so long. So ignore if you're lucky enough to have more! Just play around with the template.
Put right sides together and do following:


Ok, next is quite complicated...and Really Hard to explain! Look at the shorts face on; the middle bit that is sewn together at the top (from where you went down the front seam) - make that flat (like all in a long line) and do the same to the back, and pin them together and sew down there. By doing that all the 4 bits will come together to make the crotch of the shorts. I hope that was vaguely understandable! If not, just leave a comment telling me to sharpen up my act...

So then its quite simple, fold over the top, leaving a gap where you'll feed in the ribbon (sew up by hand later). Make holes where the ribbon will come out at the front too, a bit like you would do buttonholes (i.e. stitch round them so they're not just fraying ends of material!). Then do turn-ups if you want - I'm sure those are possible to figure out! Secure them by sewing up each side of them (in centre and at sides).

And "ta-daah" you will own a lovely pair of pyjama shorts!!!

Flik

x

1 comment:

  1. Your explanations are really good!
    And I'd never have thought to go to ikea for fabric :O
    xxx

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment :D